Historical information: The mission of the Sisters of Charity of Saints Bartolomea Capitanio & Vincenza Gerosa has spread all over the world from Lovere (Bergamo Dt.).
Due to historical events, however, the Generalate of the Institute was, for the first twenty years, at Ospedale Ciceri in Corso Porta Nuova, and then in Via S. Sofia.
The building was erected on the site of the ancient Convent of the Clares.
The transfer of the Generalate from Ciceri Hospital was effected on 24 April 1876.
The Generalate is situated in Zone 1 of Milan territory, within the historical centre, which is largely occupied by public offices, hospitals, schools, universities and churches.
In this house the superior general with her Council decides on measures aimed at promoting the spiritual life and apostolic activity of the Institute, communion among its members and a sense of belonging to the universal Church.
The Generalate therefore includes various offices in service to the central governance and to the whole Institute.
It especially caters for sisters who for various reasons come to it from different parts of the world where the Institute has spread, affording them a warm hospitality and a sense of forming one family.
Attached to it is the Santuario dedicated to the Child Mary.
It has a miraculous image of Maria Bambina, presented to the Institute in 1842.
Sisters and so many other people daily celebrate the liturgy in it or pray in silence.